Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Black Friday - Come Back To America Friday

Share it Please
I have been reading about the kinds of products that will be flying out of stores tomorrow, and whereas I know I would purchase a new iPad3 if there was one (guilty), I am also inspired by the suggestions I have encountered to approach gifting differently. There are many ways I can buy American. I remember in a previous post describing how the majority of domestically used American Flags are made overseas and how I searched to find one made in the United States. I did find one! Black Friday could be renamed Come Back To America Friday if you and I did just a little more looking for the American made flags and gifts. Not always possible, but I know for me there is a lot of room for improvement.

One of my books was printed in China (the other three in the USA). Sometimes I use technical web experts in India (comparable services in the USA are way more expensive). Often I purchase food that is imported
and clothing that is made elsewhere (I am starting to look at labels. The other day I stood staring at a bottle of olive oil made in Sonoma County and comparing it to the everywhere present international olive oil I hesitated- it cost way, way, way more. I bought it anyway). Sometimes my choice is driven by quality and sometimes by price. I like that I have options and. I am looking for ways to buy more American. I know I won't aways be able to, but there will be other instances like with the American Flag, in which all it takes is a bit more looking.)

One poster on another blog made suggestions for thoroughly American presents that you and I can consider this Black Friday. For example almost everyone gets their hair attended to, so how about a gift certificate to your loved one's hair expert? (I don't recommend giving a gift certificate to an unknown salon-hair issues are deep and personal. But you probably know that and you probably know where your loved one goes for hair maintenance.) Or how about gifting a months membership at their gym? Or, here is one I'd love, a gift certificate to get a car detailed locally.

I've read all kinds of suggestions that I just hadn't thought of gifting for Christmas--or for any kind of celebration: games at golf courses, yard work gift certificates, house cleaning gifts certificates, owner-run restaurant certificates, or (another favorite) a dozen breakfasts at a local diner.

Or, supporting local artists to perform at parties and birthday, or paying them to paint a picture, sculpt a sculpture for a future gift. Or, and I know dozens of people who own PCs who would love this one, computer tune-up at a local small computer company.

I love my small city. I want to find ways I can contribute to its thriving. Do you have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com