Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Power of Music In Ministry: Uma Casa Portuguesa

Share it Please
I often talk with colleagues about the power of music in ministry.  Music touches us in a way that words alone don't seem to be capable of achieving.  We also seem to be able to remember our musical experiences longer than we remember concepts given to us in words.  Sometimes, people will share what a wonderful experience they had at our Sunday Celebration Service, remarking what a great message I delivered.  And sometimes, it is the case that they cannot easily remember the important points of the message - but they can remember the music.  Oh, they can remember the music.  Over time, with this in mind, I have learned to pay attention to the relationship between the music and the message.

I am blessed to have a Music Director who takes time every week to contemplate the upcoming message and search for music that will complement it.  It has contributed a sense of coherence
throughout the whole service and, from my perspective, has made my work easier.  Sometimes it is the case that I can't find what message to deliver.  My Music Director, thankfully, emails the lyrics of the songs to be performed, and right there, I frequently find additional inspiration for a message.

Many, many, years ago, I took some introductory classes in Portugues.  I can't remember a whole lot from the class, however, I do remember our final project.  It was to learn a well know song from the Portugues culture and sing it together.  Strangely enough, I can remember almost the entire song and lyrics as if I learned it yesterday.

Perhaps I'll sing my next sermon.  :)


Uma Casa Portuguesa




Amália Rodrigues
http://letras.terra.com.br/amalia-rodrigues/
Numa casa portuguesa fica bem,
pão e vinho sobre a mesa.
e se à porta humildemente bate alguém,
senta-se à mesa co'a gente.

Fica bem esta franqueza, fica bem,
que o povo nunca desmente.
A alegria da pobreza
está nesta grande riqueza
de dar, e ficar contente.

Quatro paredes caiadas,
um cheirinho à alecrim,
um cacho de uvas doiradas,
duas rosas num jardim,
um São José de azulejo,
mais o sol da primavera...
uma promessa de beijos...
dois braços à minha espera...
É uma casa portuguesa, com certeza!
É, com certeza, uma casa portuguesa!

No conforto pobrezinho do meu lar,
há fartura de carinho.
e a cortina da janela é o luar,
mais o sol que bate nela...
Basta pouco, poucochinho p'ra alegrar
uma existência singela...
É só amor, pão e vinho
e um caldo verde, verdinho
a fumegar na tigela.

Quatro paredes caiadas,
um cheirinho á alecrim,
um cacho de uvas doiradas,
duas rosas num jardim,
São José de azulejo
mais um sol de primavera...
uma promessa de beijos...
dois braços à minha espera...
É uma casa portuguesa, com certeza!
É, com certeza, uma casa portuguesa!

É uma casa portuguesa, com certeza!
É, com certeza, uma casa portuguesa!
Composição: Reinaldo Ferreira

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com