Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

What's On My iPhone? Syncing Calendars and PC's

Share it Please
I like to have all my devices synced when it comes to my schedule.  I like my assistant to have access to my up to date calendar and to be able to make changes that are automatically synced with whatever gadget I'm working with at the moment.  Is it too much to ask?

Not really, there are all kinds of solutions that work well to accomplish this, but be warned, backup your calendar regularly because there are unknown forces at work in the world, seemingly determined to eat calendar data, immediately before you will actually need it.  

For a while I used MobileMe, Apple's subscription service.  But when things when crazy and I watched MobileMe's Windows version Control Panel eat my data before my eyes, screen flickering and appointments disappearing till at last I had nothing, I knew I had seen the writing on the wall, well, on the screen. Well, saw the writing disappear from the screen-wall.  Bottom line it was gone. Away.  I did finally get it back after one entire day on the phone with tech support.

To MobileMe's defense, their customer service for paying clients is excellent, however, I was quickly and politely informed that the product was never meant for business use.  Say what?  Oh, just for syncing your personal appointments to your iPhone and PC... uh huh.  

So, no more $100 a year for MobileMe, instead I use Google Calendars (free) with my iPhone and Google's free PC Google Calender Sync app.  



Here is how it works....

On your free Google email account on your iPhone (and if you don't have one, why not?) make sure the calender feature is turned on.  

Turned on, your iPhone can now use your online Google calendar and will sync to any changes you make online.  Download and install Google's PC Calendar Sync app onto each PC you wish to keep in sync.   It's really that easy.

Downside of Google's PC Calendar Sync app, at least I haven't yet found a way to change the setting, is that if you are accustomed to deleting large amounts of appointments, the app will pause and confirm that you really did want to delete those 150 events.  Good things really, unless you're not at the PC and it sits around waiting for a human to say ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com