Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Friday, July 19, 2013

The Power of Meditation: rearrange inside and out

Share it Please

One of the stories I like to tell about my journey of waking up to the power of meditation is that of relocating from one continent to another and discovering that after a very short while I recreated the an unpleasant dynamic with a supervisor that I was aiming to leave behind.  

I was hopeful that with a new start, in a new work environment, and in a new culture, a new me would emerge.  In part, that was accurate, however, a lot of the personality quirks that caused me trouble in my previous work environment surfaced quickly and presented the same stumbling blocks they had before.

When in college I tended to let my living environment get untidy till eventually I would become frustrated and sufficiently distracted by the disorder that it got in the way of my ability to study.  Rearranging the furniture can bring a new, fresh look to a familiar room, it's true, and I would rearrange things from time to time in a flurry of tidy-up-inspiration.  In short order, the space would begin to deteriorate as I left draws open, put items where they didn't belong, forgot to empty trash and all the other practices I was accustomed to.  Something in my attitude had to change before I set in place the new practices that would nurture a supportive, even inspiring environment.

Later, in spiritual studies I learned that the attitude shift is sometimes referred to as a change in consciousness, or a change in mind or awareness.  From that type of inner change, outer changes seem to flow without force of effort, and seem to have longer life span. I discovered that making those changes in awareness was less an act of affirmation than it was as a result of introspection and slowing down enough to witness the way things are in mind.  For me, shifts in attitude came more easily and more frequently when I learned how to sit in quietness and observe my inner life.

When my living environment gets chaotic now, I both tidy it up, rearrange the furniture and I take time to sit in quiet wittiness of what is going on inside.

The Power of Meditation is available for pre-order at Amazon and Barnes and Noble 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com