Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lean Into Suffering and Act

Share it Please
IMG_0551Sometimes I think the best contribution would be for me to work towards the cleanest consciousness I can when I think of helping solve the troubles in the world.  What I mean is doing the work that leads towards dropping, as much as possible, enemy images, ideas of ‘us and them’ or ideas of better than or less than.  These are the ideas that get in my way of helping cleanly.

On one hand contributing with a clean consciousness is a great way to avoid bringing my own messiness to the task of helping where help is needed.  On the other hand, there is the possibility of becoming so detached, that I don’t care enough to do something to help when help is indicated.

I recall reading Theresa of Avila’s writing about this topic of serving the world and enjoying her advice to lean into the suffering, to identify with the pain and struggle of the people involved so that we can be stimulated into action.  That is my paraphrase of what I remember from the reading.  I remember too the idea in her writing that it is our connection to the suffering of the world that draws us to action, and it is also, she wrote, how Divinity uses us. 

Theresa of Avila’s advice is in contrast to what some metaphysical teachers recommend, which is to be careful to not identify with the mindset of suffering so as not to take on the associated consciousness.  Ernest Holmes wrote “You may have all the sympathy in the world for one who is in need, but don’t personally identify yourself with it, don’t take it on.”  Either point of view, in my opinion, is fine, as long as it results in action.  Only I can know when I’m hiding behind my spirituality as a way of avoiding engaging in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com