edward viljoen * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * stay and read a while.

Creative Advice For Web Design Works For Life Too

Share it Please
I was reading Mark Praschan’s creative advice for web designers regarding elements of design that contribute to effectiveness in an article from Smashing magazine.  As I read through the helpful points it occurred to me that the simple and impressive design techniques were applicable to spiritual life.  I had a bit of fun with the headers from his article trying to relate the ideas of web design to life:

Use Contrast

To make a project more appealing and interesting, use contrast. This advice reminded me of something my co-author, Chris Michaels wrote when we were creating Spiritual Seeds.  His advice was “don’t be boring!”  It’s something I try to keep in balance by enjoying a little contract in my life so that I avoid becoming monotonous to myself and others.

Henry David Thoreau’s observation nails it:  There is an incessant influx of novelty into the world, and yet we tolerate incredible dullness.

Life is fascinating and yet how easily I can settle into being a creature of habit and settle into my routing.  Sometimes it is because I’m driven by my preference for comfort and nothing is more comfortable than the path well traveled.  So I try to ask myself from time to time “Where is the adventure?”  When I do turn my attention to this question it becomes quickly apparent that I don’t have to go far away or spend a lot of money to encounter something new, different and interesting.  I happen to live in paradise, nevertheless, it can seem dull to me if I dwell in a rut of familiar routines and activities.

That saying, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, is yet another reminder that even the most fascinating activities (I really love my job) without contrast can become boring.  And, when my spirit of creativity grows weary from neglect I find myself longing for something new to witness, express or engage in.

At times like these I begin in my mind by asking questions that introduce some new ideas.  I know I don’t have to act on any of these questions or the answers that rise up from them, but without asking the questions I don’t add the contrast in mind.

I ask things like:
  • If you could do anything you want to make a living what would it be?
  • What activity do you love doing so much that when you’re doing it you lose track of time?  And when last did you do it?
  • What issues in society do you care about deeply?  And what can you do to contribute to that cause?
  • What hobbies do you have, or used to have, or ought to have?
  • What do you do that when you do it you feel the most alive?  And when last did you do it?
Asking the questions is how I start in mind.  I let the questions work in me, and if they produce and answer, I let the answer percolate in me.  And if the prodding from the answer becomes strong enough, I follow it.

image
If you are more practical in your approach to spiritual living, perhaps these suggestion will produce the same effect as asking the questions will for others.
Go somewhere you’ve never been before, in your own neighborhood.  Take you camera along and document the journey.

Study a subject you’ve always been sort of interested in.  Really get into it.  Pick up a book from the library, purchase The Complete Idiot’s Guide on the subject from your local bookstore, climb into Wikipedia and seek it out and become a know-it-all about the topic.

Create a bucket list of things you want to do, be, experience or have while you’re still on this planet.
Whatever you do, never settle for indifference.  Life is beautiful and, in my opinion, should be revered, respected, worshiped, cherished, enjoyed, expressed, nurtured, explored and loved.
Next post will be about the design element of Gradients and how that too can be applied to spiritual living.

You may also enjoy reading:
More articles from this blog click here.
James Lileks brilliant and humorous post on User Manuals
Dear Pondering Spiritual Warrior, a response to a reader

1 comment:

  1. That saying, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, is yet another reminder that even the most fascinating activities (I really love my job) without contrast can become boring. And, when my spirit of creativity grows weary from neglect I find myself longing for something new to witness, express or engage in. Web Design Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

User Comments

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Followers

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com