Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

The Power of Meditation: Finding Peace Within Yourself - It Will Help You Sleep

Share it Please
Going to sleep with a mind racing and worrying is not easy to do. Friends and family members have reported to me that sometimes when they lay themselves down to sleep that precisely when they notice just how little peace they have within. Finding peace within yourself, I tell them, is a sure way to help yourself have satisfying sleep.

I am confident telling them this because I have as busy a mind as the next person and as many troubling details to keep up with as anyone; and yet I have learned how to slow things down at night to a more humane mental pace. With my thoughts slowed down, I can find an internal peace that has everything to do with the quality of sleep I frequently enjoy. For me, the key is
to give my mind something to do that is pleasurable and that distracts it from the business of the day I just had.

Give your mind something to do

Sometimes I start this exercise on the way to bed while brushing my teeth for example, especially if I have encountered many people in the day. Sometimes I start it when my head is on the pillow and the lights are out. You decide what pace is right for you. The method is simple. Close your eyes and call to mind the very last person you encountered. If you can imagine their face, that's good. But don't stress out if you have difficulty seeing images with your eyes closed. Simply remembering them is good enough. Depending on your living circumstances, you can do this next part out loud or silently in your mind. Say the person's name followed by something like this "[name], I bless you, I release you, I set you free from all expectations."

I can't remember who first gave me that powerful sentence, or where I read it, but I have been using it for years and years to find peace within myself just before sleep. It really helps. After I have said the sentence out loud or in my mind about the last person I remember encountering, I go to the person just before that, and so on, moving backwards in time through the people from my day.

I can hardly ever make it through more than a handful of people before I'm asleep with sort of smile that someone has who knows a secret. Even if I had an unpleasant experience with someone, I find that saying the sentence as simply and authentically as possible allows me to unhook from the stress of the day and access a feeling of freedom that helps me sleep.
Finding inner peace and having a spiritual practice doesn't have to be something elaborate or other worldly. Regular people like you and me can introduce simple practices into our lives like the one I shared above to start experiencing life in a whole new way. Peace is not something you create; it's something you and I discover was always there beneath the turmoil.

You want a meditation practice?

Ten Things You Can Stop Doing To Make Yourself Feel Happier


1 comment:

  1. I love your suggestion, Edward, and I will try it. Earlier this year Real Simple magazine asked "How to Get a Good Night's Sleep," and my response appears on the second page. Hint: It involves gratitude.
    http://www.realsimple.com/magazine-more/inside-magazine/your-words/how-get-good-nights-sleep-00100000092852/index.html

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Follow The Author

If something here inspires or helps you please feel free to make a donation. If you would like me to coach you in setting up your blog contact me and we'll get started. Payments for blog coaching can be made here too.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com