Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Should or shouldnt

Share it Please
Breast Cancer in women has 80% chance of developing when a faulty gene (BRCA1) is passed on from generation to generation. Men can carry the faulty gene and pass it on to daughters.

It's the way of things.

And so is the recent ability to screen embryos for the gene and potentially spare a girl the prospect of developing the disease in adult life.

The procedure is little practiced but has been used to screen embryos in US, Belgium and UK. A similar process has been used to screen for cystic fibrosis and Huntington's disease. A cell is taken from an embryo at about three days and tested. That's it.

Well, that is it as far as the procedure goes - and there are the issues that research groups are weighing. Is this the way of things? Should we or shouldn't we?

A friend of mine gets flustered when I talk about this and quotes the legacy of art, science and literature left by people who had debilitating diseases and questions whether or not we should interfere.
He asks me how I would feel if my embryo were screened and destroyed because of the hosts of predictable issues my adult body would turn out to have.

I tell him it is an impossible question because I wouldn't be here. He says "ah ha!" As if his point is concretely made. I tell him that I love life so much that I would make repeated applications for birth until I got through into the world. He says "You never would - because you life is to live with -----" here he lists my issues, at least the ones he is aware of.

It's an impossibly complex and tender subject. If screening were available at the time of my brothers birth, would I have selected termination if I knew he would be epileptic, mentally disabled and all the host of other issues he had?

Oh my. What a question.
It's the way of things - to weigh these questions.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com