Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

User Manual

Share it Please
James Lileks wrote a brilliant and humorous article about Owners' Manuals that lists six rules about reading them:

1. If the product needs a manual longer than one page, the designer failed.
2. No one reads manuals.
3. Every problem can be solved by turning the unit off, then turning it back on.
4. If rule No. 3 does not work, nothing in the manual can help you.
5. Things that need a manual never have one.
6. The Spanish half of the manual offers different and more helpful tips.

Rule number 5 is my favorite and reminds me of the obvious omission of a user manual for living life - or is rule number 1 an indication that life really is perfect in design - or maybe life, like the directions say in some childrens toys, "requires competent adult supervision."

Washing my hands in a restroom in Burbank I noticed a warning label on the soap dispenser, but years of drips from the dispenser had washed away the urgent information about whatever danger hand washers might encounter. The bright red "WARNING" put me instantly on alert for something I would never encounter - it's been 15 years, perhaps it is safe to wash my hands again.

Don't eat the silicone bags! Don't put your hand in the toaster. Don't do the obviously ridiculous thing --seem like an instructions that don't need stating. But maybe we do need to be reminded to not engage in the obviously ridiculous. I do -- take the madness of the group mind right now and its frenzy of fear - it's shouting out warnings with no other instruction than "BEWARE" and although life has no manual and shouldn't need one, I recently needed a reminder not to use my mind for purposes it was not intended for: don't dabble with creating fearful futures.

I would have appreciated someone to tell me in my youth that I could take a stand outside of the group mind and what it is thinking. Someone told me when I was an adult, and It was a turning point in my life to become aware that my mind can be used a sanctuary or as an extent ion of the wildly turbulent group mind. A user manual for my mind would have been helpful "every problem can be solved by turning the unit off, and then turning it back on," or "don't believe everything you find in there," or "your mind is made-up so make it up with care, being judicious about how much of the low level noise of fear you allow to influence your usage."

I am on my way to Kansas City for a 3 day joint retreat with folk from Santa Rosa and Kansas City. I plan to post pictures and updates on my blog along the way and I hope you will stop by from time to time to see what we are up to:

www.edblogword.blogspot.com

Until then, wash your hands, don't drink anything that has ingredients consisting of 12 syllables, keep your hands out of places they shouldn't be and don't fall off of high places. Most importantly, consider the amazing power your mind has to construct best case scenarios and how it can inspire you to talk about hope, possibility, gratitude and courage.

Warm Regards,

Edward Viljoen
Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa
www.edblogword.blogspot.com

to order :
Seeing Good At Work.
Spirit Is Calling
visit - www.cslsr.org

Coming soon: The Prosperous Life Journal

Ps. Has your ability to spell deteriorated as a result of on the fly spell checkers?

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Follow The Author

If something here inspires or helps you please feel free to make a donation. If you would like me to coach you in setting up your blog contact me and we'll get started. Payments for blog coaching can be made here too.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com